The beginning of the registration process in Kerala was in Thalassery in a place named Anjarakandi. The process started after Murdoch Brown arrived Thalassery from London and bought 'Randu Tara' where he started living. He was very clever in acquiring wealth. The land owned by him became very large. He set up churches and made sure that the land could not be grabbed by anyone. Registration system was also his brain child. Brown Sahib himself set aside a room and appointed a clerk for preparing the property documents. He also encouraged others to register their property. These documents were given legal sanctity by British goverment in 1865. Brown was made Deputy Registrar and given powers to manufacture and sell stamp papers.
The registration office in Thalassery started functioning officially from 1877.